If there’s something we never get bored of seeing, it’s a great makeover. Whether it turns the retro bathroom into a futuristic oasis or offering a fresh look to the sleek bedroom, pros perform these design wonders all the time.
To give designers a chance to highlight their favorite makeovers—and to give you plenty of inspiration for your own home—we’re sharing the best before and after we’ve seen in our feature, Makeover of the Week. Take notes on the next renovation.
“I wanted both children and parents to feel pampered in this space, so I designed the nursery with a playful elegance in mind’’, says interior designer Dina Bandman. “The goal was to keep it gender-neutral by showcasing a soft green and yellow palette—the colors found in the lemon groves on the Amalfi coast of Italy were my inspiration.
|Meet the expert|
Interior designer Dina Bandman, owner of San Francisco-based Dina Bandman Interior Design, is known for combining a range of design aesthetics, including California chic, Southern charm, and Miami art deco.
“The space wasn’t very huge, about 11′ x 11′ so I wanted to find ways to make it feel bigger.The arched windows were a challenge because they were set low to the ground and made the space feel even smaller,” says Dina Bandman. Selecting the right-scale furniture was also important to avoid overcrowding the room.”
“I created the illusion of more space and height by hanging the curtains high above the arches to bring up the eye, along with the use of a 2″ x 4″ lattice to make the ceiling more elevated,” notes Dina Bandman. ‘’In order to avoid visual crowding, I included a clear lucite four poster crib that makes a statement without dominating the room.’’
- Theme of color: a palette of yellow and pale green colors evokes a calm sense of nature.
- Crib: The sleek four-poster lucite crib blends effortlessly and has a light and airy feel.
- Dresser: The antique dresser was painted light gray to match the branches of the tree in the wallpaper and then fitted with new hardware and drawer cups.
- Ceiling lamp: The floral metal chandelier in pale yellow is mounted at the middle of the ceiling.
- Ceiling lattice: the lattice ceiling is framed in a broad crown molding and fits in harmony with the theme of the lemon grove garden.
- Wallpaper: lemon trees, drawn on a silk background, hand-painted, embroidered sequins.
- Animals: A mixture of stuffed animals—including sheep and giraffe—are made from super fluffy Alpaca fur.
- Wall bracelets: Yellow-plated silk wall bracelets stretch from the brass arms and are covered in silver glass bands.
- Table: The gold metal side table is handcrafted in steel and offers a comfortable place for baby bottles to rest.
- Rug: A 100% wool surface rug in subtle blue and yellow pastel colors offers a comfortable cushion for the legs.
- Curtains: The silk window treatments have a goblet pleat detail and are lined in a light gray cup fringe.
- Clothes bar: the brass dress bar above the changing table shows clothes and complements the wallpaper.
- Ladder: The decorative white ladder resembles the branches of a tree and offers a place to hang baby blankets.
- Stool: The cow stool is covered with fake fur and adds a whimsical touch to the space.
- Wardrobe: The gingham-lined wardrobe stores garments and accessories and was equipped with brass rods and drawers.
- Blanket: The camel-colored wool and the Hermès cashmere blanket can be draped over a crib or a ladder.
Shop the Look:
Avalon Throw Blanket, $1,550
Lemon Grove Wallpaper, $Price Upon Request
The Leafy Chandelier, $1,850
The simple nursery turns into something stunning extraordinary. It’s so amazing, right? But do you think anything should be changed? We believe that bedding sheets for kids should be changed a bit. Not only the wall, but the bedding sheets should also be focused on to create a colorful and cozy space.
Obviously, it’s difficult to get the children to sleep if they don’t like it. So, the bedding sheets play an important role and always are a companion. And what better way to give the space a fashionable makeover than to upgrade it with a timeless and elegant embroidered bed sheet? An embroidered bed sheet set brings a luxe aura to the room. A Lemondrop Embroidery bedding sheets are a perfect way to fit with the new look of the nursery. What do you think about the embroidery bedding sheets for kids? Do you know how to embroider? Share with us by leaving a comment.